Bereavement-related educational resources and events
Medical Certification of Cause of Death
Educational materials and learning events to support doctors certifying death continue to be refreshed and developed by NES. These include:
- Completion of the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death (MCCD) webinar on Tuesday 26th October 2021, 17:00-18:00
Speakers from the Death Certification Review Service at Healthcare Improvement Scotland will give guidance and tips on how to complete an MCCD.
For more information and to register click here
- Deaths from COVID-19 disease in Scotland - a resource featuring scenarios to support accurate death certification and reporting to Crown Office & Procurator Fiscal Service.
Our website also hosts recordings and resources from previous webinars in addition to other educational materials.
New animated films
- Bereavement Charter for Children & Adults in Scotland: What does it mean for health and social care professionals?
This short animated film which was launched in September gives an overview of the 13 statements that comprise the Charter and what these mean for health & social care professionals. It acknowledges that although bereavement is everyone’s business, health and social care professionals have a key role in supporting patients who are bereaved.
- Anticipatory Grief
A new animated resource describes the experience of anticipatory grief; when someone may have feelings of loss before the time of a death. The animation highlights how professionals can recognise this and provide support to those in their care.
Watch these and a range of other bereavement-related learning resources for medical professionals at our Support Around Death website.
NES Annual Bereavement Education Conference 2021
The Changing Face of Bereavement: Providing care and maintaining our own wellbeing during the pandemic
Wednesday 24th November 2021 - free, 1-day, virtual event
Following significant interest from medical staff at the 2019 conference, the deadline for final registrations is approaching for those interested in attending the 2021 event, with over 900 people registered so far. The day will offer a wide range of sessions including:
- The experiences of an Intensive Care Consultant in the pandemic
- Bereavement support for families after critical illness
- Managing legal processes following a death including Medical Certification of Cause of Death & interaction with the Procurator Fiscal.
The virtual platform allows for wider participation from more diverse areas and greater flexibility in which sessions to join. For those unable to attend on the day, sessions will be recorded to watch later.
To secure your place and view the programme, visit the NES Events website.